>1) I like Minnesota better than California. (I know most of you think this means I’m crazy).
2) I turned domestic(er) when I moved here – all of a sudden I have a vegetable garden and find myself canning and making jam, pickles, and cheese. I have no idea how this happened.
3) I love food. I read Bon Apetit and Gourmet and wish I could be Ruth Reichl. Cooking is the best way to soothe me, and it gets my creative juices all fired up.
4) I love being organized (but it almost never happens). There is such a feeling of power that comes with checking off items on a To-Do list and getting things done.
5) I let Olive watch waaaaay too much TV and I have serious Mom guilt over it.
6) I want to be a writer when I grow up.
7) I blog in the meantime.
8) And occasionally gather up the courage to submit something somewhere.
9) I don’t go in for calling an odd number that called you to find out who it was. If they didn’t leave a message, it means something. And all too often I’m the one who misdialed and would prefer my anonymity. 😉
10) Jeff gave me a ring on our first date. Not an engagement ring – but part of the set that included my wedding band and engagement ring. At the time I didn’t know that, of course. But I was still puzzlingly okay with the fact that he gave me a ring ON OUR FIRST DATE.
11) I have an awful time returning phone calls. I always want to – and mean to – but I wait too long to find that “perfect” moment – when Olive’s busy with something, when I’ll have more than ten minutes to talk, after I’ve started the laundry, after we’ve finished dinner. Note to self – THE PERFECT MOMENT NEVER COMES. JUST CALL ALREADY.
12) Being in a sorority was one of the best things I’ve ever done – though I have lots of regrets about things I did (and didn’t) do. And no, none of them are what you’re thinking.
13) I only like to watch happy things. Movies, I mean. If I watch anything too dramatic, serious, violent, scary – I get nightmares. It’s like the emotional imprint of what I’ve seen sticks in my psyche. Thus I watch kid movies and chick flicks.
14) I learned to crochet when I was 7 and knit when I was 23 and now I can’t stop either one (though I prefer knitting, crochet is an awful lot faster).
15) I am way overthinking these answers.
16) I love tea. A good strong cup of black tea with sugar and milk is my favorite stress reliever. Herbal is good, too – but I do love me some black.
17) I read books voraciously. Really, I devour them. A book every day or so if I let myself. Mostly novels, but whatever piques my curiosity. I am currently loving Maeve Binchy and Elizabeth Berg.
18) Playing hostess is one of my favorite things. I love prepping the house, making goodies, creating a warm atmosphere, connecting people. My pumpkin donut party is about my favorite thing each year.
19) I love people. Really and truly, and more deeply than I think I ever show.
20) Mostly it’s hidden because I am deeply afraid of people not liking me. I know that’s so junior high, but it’s true. I tend to assume that people don’t until they prove otherwise.
21) I am really trying to show love more, and to be as kind a person as I know how. But it’s awfully hard, and I fail a lot.
22) Olive is the planet around which I revolve, and I like it that way.
23) Being married is really hard. And I wouldn’t trade it for the world. Jeff is a pretty wonderful man.
24) I struggle a lot in my faith and have serious doubts and reservations. All that I know that I know that I know is that there is a God and he loves each and all of us deeply.
25) My heart’s deepest longing is for community, and that’s why I think I’ll eventually plant back into a church… and it’s why I love Facebook (which is where this list originated).